Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Don't Panic!

An important concept in bicycle racing is the idea of "do not panic".  Bike races can be long, and a lot can happen.  Riders, get flats, get dropped, get flats, maybe crash, and sometimes they have to stop and pee.  Whatever the case, it can result in a rider being off the back of the race.  It is tempting for a racer to jump back onto the bike and ride as hard as possible, and if and when he gets back on the main group or "peloton", he has nothing left in the tank.  Smart racers race tactically.  They find other racers trying to get back into the race and they work together to slowly reel in the main body of racers.  It takes time and smarts, but if done right, they get back in the race and aren't completely drained of every ounce of energy.

Well, today as predicted in my last entry, I came down with the flu.  Actually last night, but today I felt terrible with a 100+ fever, chills, aches, and the whole nine yards.  My little five year old boy has the flu too (he gifted it to me), so we are both out of action and he calls us "sick buddies".  

Yesterday, I did get my initial ride in with 37 miles completed, and I actually felt good, but with no riding today, I am now 23 miles in the hole.  Not too bad actually.  Remember, I have all year to do the 11,000 miles and I don't have to make up all the miles at once.  Also, the 30 mile a day average is just that, an average.  Throw in a few 100+ miles rides throughout the year, and some races and brevets (I'll talk about what those are some other time) and the miles will be made up.  I actually won't be in emergency mode until I get to 500 miles in the hole, and I don't plan on that happening!

But, what comes to mind immediately is that applies in a bicycle race can apply to life.  Things happen that put us behind the eight ball.  The key, is again, don't panic.  Having a support system of friends, allies, and supporters can see us through those times when it seems like the goal just can't be reached.  It can be reached, but asking for, and using help is what it takes.  It's not being weak.  It's being smart.

Now, back to getting well.  Still not out of the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment